Introduction to Logic Pro
You might be curious to know Logic Pro has been around in some form or another longer than many of its users. And don't be fooled by its low cost and accessibility. Logic Pro users have an edge that few DAWs can compete with. Logic Pro users are in very good company.
|The Complete Logic Pro|
|Logic Pro - The Big Picture|
|Logic Pro Quick Start|
|The Arrange Window|
|Tracks and Channel Strips|
|Automating the Mix|
|Bouncing Your Project|
A Brief History
- 1993, Notator Logic
- 1994, Version 1.7 added Audio functionality
- 2000, Added virtual instruments
- 2002, Apple acquires Emagic, the original developers
- 2004, Logic 6 goes Mac only, Logic Express is released
- 2007, Logic Studio released. Includes Logic Pro 8, MainStage, Soundtrack Pro. New features include Quick Swipe Comping, Delay Designer, no more dongle.
- 2009, Logic Pro 9, MainStage 2, Soundtrack Pro 3 released in Logic Studio 2. New features include Flex Time, Guitar Amp Pro, Pedalboard,
- 2010, Logic Pro 9 goes 64-bit.
Difference between Logic Pro and Logic Express
- Stereo mixing only
- No TDM/DAE support
- Limited control surface support
- No distributed audio processing
- Fewer Apple Loops, and EXS24 instruments
- Doesn't include Sculpture, EVB3, EVD6, EVP88
- Doesn't include Space Designer, Delay Designer
- Doesn't include MainStage, Soundtrack Pro, Compressor
- Comes with Logic Studio package
- Surround sound mixing
- All jam packs and instruments
The Logic Pro Edge
- Designed by Apple. Pretty much guarantees compatibility with Hardware and OS.
- Instruments and Effects. More than 1,700 sampled instruments. More than 4,500 effects presets.
- MIDI/Audio Hybrid DAW. Some lack in one area. Logic Pro excels at both.
- Compatible with most audio and MIDI hardware.
- Professional Notation
- Nodes. Distributed audio processing over multiple computers.
- Control Surface Support. Any MIDI controller can control any function in Logic Pro.
- Environment. An object oriented programmable editor. You can create your own data processors and integrate Logic Pro with external gear.
- 64-bit processing. Allows you to access more RAM than 32-bit processing.