Here’s everything you ever wanted to know about recording drums:
- Apogee – How to Record Drums With Two Microphones and How to Record Drums With Multiple Microphones
Bob Clearmountain and Matt Chamberlain show you the best way to record drums with two microphones and multiple microphones.
- iDrum Magazine – Alex Reeves Guide To Recording Drums
Alex Reeves’ Guide To Recording Drums is a series featured in iDrum Magazine. The lessons cover drumming, drum and cymbal choice, recording techniques, and mixing tips.
- Full Sail University – How To Record Drums
Full Sail University’s Darren Schneider goes over the basics of miking a drum kit.
- Jon Stinson – Recording Drums 101: A Home Studio Recording Guide For Pro Sounding Drums
Jon shows you the Brendan O’Brien two mic drum recording setup and more.
- Recording Revolution – The Power Of Recording Drums With One Microphone
Minimist drum recording is my personal favorite. One mic is all you need to get a great drum sound.
- Recording Revolution – The $300 Studio Challenge: Recording Drums
Embrace low budget drum recording. Save your hard-earned money.
- Recording Revolution – The Glyn Johns Drum Recording Method
Glyn Johns is a drum recording legend. Learn how to get his amazing drum sounds.
- Royer Labs – Drum Recording Tips
Royer Labs is a worldclass mic manufacturer. They detail several drum recording setups with lots of pictures.
Free Logic Pro Recording Cheat Sheet: Record faster and sound better. CLICK HERE to download this straightforward guide to recording stellar sounding audio and MIDI.
- Drumeo – Recording Drums
Drumeo has a series of videos that guide you through recording drums and mixing drums.
- Drumeo – Drum Set Mic Technique Overview
Learn technical terms, drum miking theory, and how to choose drum microphones.
- Drumeo – How To Mic A Bass Drum
Learn how to record a kick drum with good quality budget microphones and more.
- Drumeo – How To Mic A Snare Drum
Learn how to record a snare drum and get tips on microphone positioning.
- Drumeo – How To Mic Cymbals
Learn how to record the ride cymbal, hi-hat, and other cymbals.
- Drumeo – How To Mic Toms
Learn how to record toms, including tricks to avoid microphone leakage.
Want crystal clear recordings with great sound? Here’s how to get ‘HIGH FIDELITY’ without technical hurdles or frustration… Download the cheat sheet!
- Recording Magazine – Recording the Drum Kit
Recording Magazine gives you mic and preamp recommendations, tips on mic positioning, and more.
- For Dummies – Miking the Drumset in Your Home Recording Studio
For Dummies gives solutions for recording drums in home studios.
- Shure – Five Techniques for Stereo Miking Drums
Shure mics are the go-to microphones for recording. They provide sound examples and visual aids to help you identify the different stereo drum miking techniques.
- Recording Drums by Sound on Sound
A structured and frustration-free approach to the time-consuming task of recording the drum kit.
- Recording Drums in your Home Studio by Propellerheads
Tips and recording techniques for recording drums in your personal home studio.
- Drum Recording Secrets of Butch Vig
Butch Vig discusses his key drum recording methods, working with Dave Grohl, and what to do when it’s not working.
- Sound Better – Recording Drums like the Beatles
Ideas on recreating the classic signal chains of The Beatles for recording drums.
- Sweetwater Sound – How To Mic Drums for Recording Part One — Two Microphones
Learn the two mic technique for recording drums.
- Sweetwater Sound – How To Mic Drums for Recording Part Two — Four Microphones
Learn the four mic technique for recording drums.
- Glenn Fricker’s How To Record Heavy Drums Part 0
If you’re into heavy drumming, Glenn Fricker takes you for a NSFW trip into face-melting drum sounds. Part 1: Setup, Part 2: Overheads, Part 3: Drum Triggers, Part 4: Kick Drum.
- Tips for Recording Drums and Cymbals Separately
Drummers hate it, but sometimes you sacrifice for a certain sound.
- The 6 Best Mics for Recording Bass Guitar and Kick Drums
Here’s 6 mics that can serve double-duty in your mic cabinet. A few are classic choices for recording drums.
- The Drum Recording Handbook
Bobby Owsinski is one of my trusted favorites. This book covers drum recording and includes an index so you can search for solutions quickly.
So that’s a pretty big list! But it’s the best of what’s out there.
Unless you think I missed something? Share your favorite sources of drum recording advice in the comments.